Sunday, February 2, 2014

Peyton Manning interceptions seen on multiple continents

¡Hola todos! I am happy to report that my homestay family has wifi, and I'm able to access from the garden in front. This means I have no excuse to not post regularly, and I get to maximize my enjoyment of this lovely weather!
This was the beautiful sunset view I had from my ATL --> UIO flight.  The flight was lovely, but I'm sure no one is surprised to hear that my suitcase did not have the opportunity to enjoy this flight as well. I called Delta this morning, they had located my bag in ATL, and I'm hoping it will be delivered tomorrow...hoping. Let this be a lesson to all of us, on my behalf, to pack a better carry-on. I had a few helpful extra items, but many more (heavy) miscellaneous items packed to keep my suitcase underweight (it was 51.5lbs and they let it slide). Also, considering I flew to 11 interviews this fall and winter, and this is the first real issue I'm having, I consider myself incredibly lucky.

Despite lacking all my personal care items, I had a great first day in Quito!  I arrived at my home stay around 130am, briefly met my home stay mother -who happens to be director of the Spanish school - and swiftly went to bed. It gets cool here at night because of the high altitude, so I was delighted to find several heavy, wool blankets layered on top of my full size bed - just how I like it! Needless to say, I slept quite well. 

In the morning, after borrowing toothpaste from another student staying here, I had a lovely breakfast of warm cereal and fresh fruit - definitely off to a very good start. 

It turns out there are 6 students total staying here with Rosita, my home stay mother. She's very nice and fun to talk to; it's only her here, besides the students. I do miss the real experience of a "family" like I had in Panama, which also provided for more Spanish speaking opportunities. However, I lost much more independence in that setting, which was taxing at times. It's a balance. Plus, going around Quito in a group is more important than it was in Panama, so having many students in close proximity (plus 4 more just 2 doors down) is handy. And I have my own bathroom, so really, no complaints. 

Today, after breakfast we went to the Spanish school, which is like a home base and cultural center for us too, for orientation.  In the afternoon, we were shown around the city, practiced taking the bus, and saw the hospitals we will be working in. Unfortunately, I don't have pics yet to show. I've been leaving my iPhone at home - pick pocketing is common - and I haven't uploaded yet from my digital camera. There are beautiful mountains to the west of the city, and man, when the sun is out, it is delightfully toasty. The parks were filled with families, but otherwise the city was pretty shut down, it is Sunday after all. 

Also on Sunday, you cannot buy or be served alcohol. This was a disappointment to the group of us - 9 American students - who went to a restaurant to watch the superbowl. Oh well, I wanted to order a Pisco Sour, a delicious South American cocktail, which isn't superbowl appropriate anyhow...karma. And what a crazy game, huh?! We only watched the first half, but I was plenty fulfilled by those two interceptions. Maybe next year, or never, Peyton. Sadly, we did not get the same commercials you all did. Please send links to any good ones (I've already seen #bestbuds and Anna Kendrick's)!

Tomorrow and Tuesday I have Spanish classes all day. I'm excited and grateful for that, but I'm already feeling quite at ease speaking Spanish. I love it! Wednesday till Friday, I'll be in a family medicine outpatient clinic. I'll be in a different setting weekly. Next week, I'll be working in the emergency room for women (presumably meaning pregnant women). I'm excited!

Before I head off to bed, I'll leave you with a photo of Winnie, our dog. We were best buds this morning at breakfast, but I don't think she liked me sticking the phone in her face while I skyped with the Marcus/Baron family Super Bowl party. We'll work on it, Winne. 


¡Buenas noches!

No comments:

Post a Comment